Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What does HEALTHY LIVING mean?

Hey everyone,

It's been a while......I have no excuse other than I have been busy making the world a better place, I promise.  AND, while doing so, I came across something that I wanted to share with you....

I Googled  the term "healthy living" to see what's out there in terms of resources etc., and do you know what came up?

EggBeaters.com
Uncle Bens
Amway
Amerimark
Kashi

Wrinkle Soulution
Healthy Choice
...and one called 'Tips for Healthy Living' that claims Coke gives you choices for healthy living.

Yikes.  We have a long way to go, people.

Now, I see this as being bad news and good news both.

Bad news for obvious reasons.  I have always been frustrated with the fact that so many food companies (which are all primarily under the same evil umbrella) claim they are healthy when they are not.  How can this be allowed? Take Cheerios, for example.  I'll bet if we polled 100 people in various towns accross America, the majority of people would say Cheerios are healthy.  I remember my son, who was absolutely fascinated with cereal commercials because of all the fun crazy and exciting characters, recited word for word, the nutritional facts about Cheerios and how it was part of a healthy breakfast. Ugh.

So, if you are out there scratching your head right now saying to yourself that you though Cheerios were healthy, I've got 2 words for you.  DEAD FOOD.

Processed foods are dead. They give you little of the vital, life giving nutrients that come from foods directly from the ground.  Period.  I don't care how much something is fortified with synthetic garbage. If it had to be fortified, it's dead.

Our bodies do best on foods from the earth and foods from something that had eyes. Yea, I said it.  But YOU MUST pay attention to food QUALITY. Spend the extra 50 bucks a month for organic.   I added up a comparison list for a family of 4 on organic vs non-organic. Trader Joes.  54 dollar difference for the month.  Even if it's 100, you can find a way to do it.  You are powerful, capable, and resourceful. Find another way to save. Cut out a bottle of wine or three and a few Starbucks please.  You get what I mean.

Now, I have to say that I do believe that 'back in the day', food practices in America were brought about with good intentions.  Unfortunately, good has gone bad, and big industry food practices have gotten so far out of hand that I am afraid there is no way of righting the wrong.

Sadly, today, the  Food and Drug Administration has tremendous power and huge money to have major influence through the media.  Their agendas are pretty simple.  CORN, DAIRY, SOY, WHEAT, BEEF, and DRUGS.  Find as many ways as possible to use them and then promote them as healthy through sophisticated marketing.  Wonder how much more money goes into marketing than into the actual manufacturing itself....   The average American eats the same 12-15 foods their entire lives....Oh, and guess what foods Americans are increasingly becoming highly sensitive to?  Wheat, dairy, soy, corn, and eggs are among the top food sensitivities today......hmmmmm.  Food for thought.

Now, I hate to be that complainer who complains and doesn't offer any solutions, so here I go with some information for you to share so that you can help make the world a better place.  That is your goal today, right?  Just making sure. :)

Now, here is where the good news comes in.....The fact that there was little info out there about how to actually live healthfully, means that we have lots of opportunities to make a difference. So many people out there are unaware of what sugar, processed foods, fake chemicals, dead foods, etc. are doing to them.  Knowledge is power.  You can become empowered and help others to do the same.  One person at a time.

Tell your friends to check out the following:

Food, Inc. - DVD
www.naturalnews.com (read their special report on the State of our Health)
The Future of Food  - DVD
Sugar, the Bitter Truth, a UCSF medical school - YouTube - WATCH THE WHOLE THING.  Believe me, you owe it to your health to do so.  Let me know what you thought about all of these and please pass them along.

Here's what Healthy Living means to me:

Caring enough about yourself and others to make the necessary choices and/or sacrifices that will result in you looking, feeling and being healthy in mind, body, and spirit.

QFTD:  Health is a state of mind, wellness is a work in progress. ~ Stevy Stevens.

Yours in living healthfully,

Heather

1 comment:

  1. Heather, thanks. I have been talking about this for weeks. Living food is where it's at. I got myself in quite a form surviving on more processed dead food and diet whatever that fresh veggie juice (made at home from fresh organic produce) was like electric through my cells. Thanks for visiting my blog as well. Love your articles.

    ReplyDelete