Saturday, January 9, 2010

Introducing Body Talk with Heather Morgan

Hello Body Bloggers!

My name is Heather Morgan. I live in Sonoma, California, and I am a 41 year old mother of two school-aged children. We recently moved to Sonoma and I have absolutely fallen in love with this charming little slice of historical heaven. Have you been here? Country, yet sophisticated due to it's food and wine culture, but it's the PEOPLE that make this town, make no mistake. Good, caring, neighborly folk who love to have a good time. And can you imagine?? They also LOVE to be healthy!

I am inspired.

........which is why I am writing this blog......I am inspired to provide a space for women who are INSPIRED TOO. Inspired to find balance in their lives so that they can be their personal best. Is this you?

Then join in....I am a Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach, former teacher, counselor, and, my biggest claim to fame......ultimate fan of the 80/20 rule. Know what that is? A life changing philosophy to live by that keeps you in healthy balance, while allowing for your guilty pleasures. For example, don't tell anybody, but I just took a break and went into the kitchen and had 2 healthy pigs in a blanket. Yes, I said "healthy" and "pigs in a blanket" in the same sentence. Ahhhh, now you are ready to listen in......

The 80/20 rule involves putting healthy foods into your body 80% of the time, while enjoying in those guilty pleasures 20% of the time. Now where people get caught up is in knowing what is actually healthy and what is not. Fortunately, this I can help you with....

So how can pigs in a blanket be healthy? Depends on what they are made of and when you eat them. We'll get more into this as we get into quality of foods, but suffice it to say, "there are pigs in a blanket, and there are pigs in a blanket". Mine were made at home with all organic ingredients, gluten free, no hydrogenated oils, and mini dogs that are totally natural, no preservatives or harmful chemicals. I ate them at a time that's right for my metabolic needs and enjoyed every bite.

Here's the crack up. I grew up in Indiana eating fast food, soda with dinner, candy every day, and the same 3 veggies came from a can my entire life (maybe some frozen in there too). I know, crazy, isn't it? I remember putting velveta on bologna in the microwave and ate that daily for a while. Oh, and we had doughnuts every Saturday for breakfast. I still love doughnuts. I eat one WHEN IT MAKES SENSE, which is about once a year, but I do it without guilt.

How I got here is quite a story in itself, and I will share more as we go along........but I made the transition from junk food junkie to Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach over many years of painful evolutionary change which came about by force of nature when my health started to fail me.


Don't we all have a story? We do. I love hearing peoples stories. How they grew to be who they are by process of screwing up. Someone once told me you spend your first 30 years getting screwed up and the next 30 years fixing it. Yikes. Hope it's not that way for everyone. I, do, however, believe the more we screw up, the more opportunity there is to grow. Whether or not we seize that opportunity is up to us. But some of the coolest people I know and respect are people who have done a lot of screwing up in their lives. So I should turn out to be pretty exceptional!

I hope you will share your story. Especially as it relates to your health. I have a feeling it is meant for me to find some pretty cool friends on this Blog. Hopefully we can change lives together.

So here you will find daily (well, hopefully daily, but certainly a couple of times a week) nutrition and lifestyle tips to incorporate into your"story" that will help you to live a better you. Expect tips on healthy eating, exercise, guidelines for maintaining healthy balance in your lives while nurturing your mind, body and spirit. Many great things have come across my desk over the past 7 years and I am looking forward to sharing it with all of you.

My GOAL: to make the world a better place.

Closing Quote of the day : "Every time you eat or drink you are either feeding disease or fighting it." -a friend. How about keeping a journal of everything you eat or drink and at the end of the day write "feeding" or "fighting" next to each item. What was the percentage breakdown?

Yours in friendship.

Heather


2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather, I grew up with EA. He was like an older brother to me, always looking out for me when I was just a kid. I think it's great how both of you have incorporated health and fitness into your lives through the years, and promote similar healty lifestyles for other people. I read your blog, and could appreciate your insight and words of wisdom...... I could use some at this point in my life. Need to reduce stress, eat healthier, be more proactive, and make some changes. Your blog will be an inspiration to me..... :-)

    ReplyDelete