Saturday, January 16, 2010

Changing the channel......

I am trying to work through this one, friends.......

I have been feeling "off" since the earthquake in Haiti hit, and I recently discovered that beautiful and brave 11 yr old girl who they rescued with the hurt leg died. I don't know if you followed her story, but as a mother of an 11 year old daughter, I was completely broken.

That brave angel's last words were, "mommy please don't let me die."

Deep breath........

Acknowledge the emotion.

Change the channel.

Charity.

My heart is uplifted, though, by the enormous outpouring of love and support from around the world. A world with heart. Its almost as if you can feel a pulse beating from the core of the earth. I wonder if you can see it beating from outer space?

During this time I am aware of how emotions affect all aspects of our lives...... social relationships, productivity, and even our health.

There have been loads of studies done on emotions and health. The glass-half-full people are sick less often than the glass-half-empty people. Yeah, it's true.

Would you agree with this statement? Know anyone who is on loads of meds who also has a bad attitude? Know anyone who has health issues who is often depressed?

Chicken or the egg?

I am living, breathing proof that this is true. I had many health issues going on in my life before I developed the skill set to properly manage my emotions. I tended to operate from a very "me" point of view, and often from a perspective based on fear and negativity. I did not have the capacity to think beyond my own drama some of the time. Don't get me wrong, to most people I seemed pretty normal, but as times got tougher, my lack of skills to pull myself out of the muck became obvious, not only that, made life worse. You see, when you are a negative thinker and life hits you hard what do you do? You focus on all the bad, you react out of fear. Then what happens? yes, you attract more bad stuff.

During those years my body was talking to me, letting me know that it was over burdened with stinkin thinkin and unnecessary worry. Headaches, digestive issues, tiredness, etc.

It wasn't until the formal breakdown in my health that my "awakening" happened. A conscious shift, if you will, that opened my perspective and desire to change. A desire to be healthy in all aspects of my life. To be positive, to bring positivity into my life and to motivate and inspire others so that they may be uplifted as well. Guess what, BIG shift in my health. Sure the eating better and exercise helped, but I would not have been able to sustain those habits without getting a grip on my mental habits. Learning to change the channel saved my life and my marriage.

I am a definite work in progress. If we are doing it right, we all are......

Life's too short.

Learn to change the channel. And WHATEVER YOU DO don't judge others, criticize, put others down, or talk badly about others. ESPECIALLY NOT IN FRONT OF YOUR CHILDREN. Don't repeat the cycle of stinkin thinkin you learned.

FEAR.

Those behaviors come from fear and unhappiness with oneself. All those ugly emotions, including jealousy, are usually rooted in dislike of ones self. Love yourself, you will find that you will automatically find more to love in others. Be the best you can be and you will begin loving yourself and others. Only you know what that personal best is and what you need to do to make that happen.


Switching the channel is a powerful tool for you in managing your emotions. Managing your emotions is an important part of managing your health.

A healthy attitude is a great place to start. Be your personal best, love yourself, love others.

Good book. Your Destiny Switch. Google it. Can't remember the author off the top of my head.

QFTH: "If your all wrapped up in yourself, you're overdressed." - Kate Halverson

Yours in positivity,

Heather

PS Karen! Welcome to my blog! I am so glad you have joined in..... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment