Wednesday, January 27, 2010

OK, now I've done it. Net Nanny shut me out of my own Blog for my use of profanity. :0

I'll do better, promise.

Is Net Nanny the only person reading my blog on a regular basis?? Because she is the only person I am hearing from...... :)

That bossy little b@#$% is squelching my literary mojo!....see if she can figure that one out! I may have to start using code......

Hey! Did you Watch Oprah yesterday?! PLEASE watch it if you did not. It is important for your health and the health of your family. Michael Pollan wrote Omnivores Dilemma - have you read it?

Also, watch the movie, Food, Inc....it's great and along the same lines as Oprah's show.

Eye-opening.

I read it with my book club and now we are discussing it in our exercise club.

Yea, Tanya, after watching Oprah, has invited our exercise club to her house to watch Food Inc. together. We are doing a healthy, mostly veggie pot luck too........so fun! I am taking my healthy fish tacos. (you have to read my other posting to get the recipe :)

In case you are wondering where I stand on the vegan thing......I think it can be great for some folks, when done right, which is the challenge. We are all different metabolically. If we listen to how our BODY TALKS to us, we know what we need by how we feel through trial and error, but we must be listening.....and, education is powerful. So is eating right for your metabolic needs.

I have coached many people through the METABOLIC TYPING process, helping them to figure out the right balance of macro nutrients for themselves, and I have discovered many people really do need a more paleolithic type of diet involving clean , lean proteins. Some do better on mostly veggies and other types of proteins. FOOD QUALITY is most important, which is why you need to watch FOOD INC.

Unfortunately, we get little education in America on the subject of food quality and how to eat right for our metabolic needs, but it is SOOO important for ourselves and future generations. So get educated folks and take your health into your own hands before it is too late. Once your health is in the hands of big pharma.......well, good luck chickie.

OK, Net Net Nanny and friends, thanks for taking time to get a little inspired today........and, please, if you feel so inspired, help socialize this Blog for me?

Maybe there is someone out there who would find my profanity and silly stories.....um, momentarily distracting?

QFTD: "One man's food, is another's poison"

Yours in livin it up while living live,

Heather

8 comments:

  1. Everyone should see Food Inc! It's such a great and informative movie.

    I really enjoyed Michael Pollan's books. Although, I 've been taking a lot of science classes over the last couple of years because I'm going to apply to nursing school, and not everything he says is accurate when it comes to some of the health issues. But, regardless, the general message of his books is good and something that everyone should hear.

    I also have a comment on veganism. I've gone back and forth for most of my life between being vegetarian and not. I was even vegan for most of high school. But then, I read this: "The Vegetarian Myth: Food, Justice, and Sustainability" by Lierre Keith, and it turned my world upside down. I didn't even want to read this book in the first place because I've always glorified veganism. But, I'm so glad I read it because I learned so much. I highly recommend it!

    I enjoy reading your blog Heather!

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather,

    Thanks so much for starting this forum. I am a good friend of Jess's and had always wanted to meet with you while we were in SF, but my husband and I moved up to Portland several years ago, and it just never happened.

    This post is very timely, as we just watched Food, Inc. earlier in the week, and then also saw the Oprah episode. With a 10 week old we've been doing an awful lot of budgeting recently. That being said, when we were faced with the fact that in the 1960s something like 18% of household income was allocated to groceries, and approximately only 9% of income was spent on healthcare, versus today where it is the exact opposite, our groceries will be allocated a bigger piece of the pie!

    My daughter is my inspiration in finding a new balance and peace with my health and hope that when it is achieved, I can then be an inspiration to her.

    Keep the profanity and silly stories coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Amy! A very good point about the grocery bill. I always encourage people to shop at whole Foods and they resist because of the cost. Those are often the same people who dive their kids through a drive through for dinner in their fifty thousand dollar cars. I want to get accurate stats on the grocery bill v/s health care thing so I can post. Do you remember where you got the info from? Makes sense, spend more on healthy foods and you will spend less on health care!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaime! Thanks so much for sharing your perspective as well as the book. Knowledge is power and that is cool you read something you did not want to to learn a new perspective. I have been studying this debate for a while and always come to the same conclusion that each person's needs are different and veganism, when done right, might be a right choice for some people, but i have seen many people who tried it and it was definitely not the right choice for them metabolically. Finding that right balance of macronutritients is key and I recommend a book called the Metabolic Typing Diet by William Wolcott to help you along this process. I also have a questionnaire you can take to determine your needs if anyone is interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather, the quote was from Michael Pollan from the Oprah episode I think? It stuck in both my husband and I's mind. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heather, what did you get Writer's Block or something? Keep it coming, sister! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI! Actually, I did! I was waiting to get inspired. The mojo was a bit off so I went with the flow.... I had a super busy week and sat down to write a couple of times and the flow wasn't there. :) Quantity over quality baby!!! BUT, yesterday i got inspired big time! It was like a friggin lightning bolt hit me and I have so much to say! I will post this weekend for sure. :) love you jess!

    ReplyDelete